Sunday, September 11, 2011

Team Paraguay?

 Well, it's been a crazy week. Due to problems with the Bolivian visa process, Team Bolivia is currently in Argentina, where we will be applying for Paraguayan visas in the near future. Then it's off to Paraguay for 10 months. I suppose I should change the name of my blog.. While it is a disappointment for us not to be able to stay in Bolivia, I think we are all very excited about the opportunities that have opened up in Paraguay.  Isaac, a member of the Radical Journey team last year who was planning on returning with us as our leader, decided to stay back and attempt to get into Bolivia with a new visa. He has a very strong connection with the people there and has felt lead to return this year.

 Our travels went well. We had no problems going through security in any of the airports and even the Bolivian customs agents didn't give us any trouble. We met some members of the church there, and they took us downtown and bought us a bite to eat.  They were extremely nice and very understanding of our poor Spanish. The food was called salteñas, and they reminded me a lot of bierocks, but had a much different flavor.

Argentina has been wonderful. We are staying close to a small church and have met with some of the youth there a few times already. While speaking Spanish is sometimes difficult, I have enjoyed playing music and ping pong with them. The church owns a bass, a guitar and a drum set as well as a homemade ping pong table.

Our hosts have also been wonderful. The boys in our group are staying in one place, and the girls in another. The mom in our house has insisted that we not do any work while we're here and gets angry when we try to help her. They have also been trying to help us learn more Spanish, and they say that Paraguayans speak much faster than Argentinians so we probably need all the help we can get.

Well, I guess that's all for now. I'll try to post some pics later, but I haven't taken any in South America yet. Thanks for reading, and keep sending those prayers!

-Tim

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing well! I'm glad you are getting some music and some ping pong. I'm also glad your team is beginning the term with learning to trust God through unexpected changes.

    I taught 5th and 6th grade for the first time this morning. It was a blast! We made sandals (sound familiar?) with cardboard and yarn, because the story was about Moses and the burning bush. "Take off your sandals. You are on Holy Ground."

    You are on Holy Ground as well. But keep your shoes on. Protect your feet. :-)

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you finally get to take that Paraguay trip you had to miss 12 or so years ago.

    -Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed seeing the picks on FB! Can't wait to hear more of your experiences. PS it still won't let me use my google account to comment, no idea why.

    -Laura

    ReplyDelete