Saturday, September 3, 2011

Orientation


Wow, what a week. It’s gone by really fast, yet so much has happened! I am enjoying being in the company of my team as well as the other Radical Journey teams. This week has challenged us to grow together and share while preparing ourselves for the upcoming 10 month term.


I should probably start with some general information. I am serving this year in the Radical Journey program through Mennonite Mission Network. I am currently at Orientation in Chicago. We are being hosted by the wonderful folks at Jesus People U.S.A. I am on the Bolivia team, and we will fly out of Chicago on the eighth of September.


Team Bolivia consists of myself, Andrew, Riley, Cara, Katie, and our leader, Isaac. Our team is the only one that has a leader this year. I think we are getting along quite well so far, and I’m looking forward to getting to know them all better throughout this year.


Thursday night, the power in the building we were staying in went out. I have often found that power outages cause people to be spontaneous and can end up being quite enjoyable after the initial shock of realizing you won’t be able to do what you might have been planning. This case was no different. We ended up having a small hymn sing/worship session in the dark. We sang 606 as well as some other popular Mennonite hymns and threw in a couple praise songs with guitar accompaniment.


One thing we have been working on this week is the Enneagram Personality Type Indicator. It is a device that splits characteristics into nine different personality types, and then explains about tendencies and characteristics of each type. We took a short test earlier in the week which told me I was a type seven, the enthusiast. While working later, however, I realized that I really did not identify with how they claimed a type seven would think or act. Today I took the long version of the test, which takes about 45 minutes. It told me I was a type two, the helper, which I identify with much more. Type two is one of the most relationship oriented types. It was interesting to read through what they said about my type and realize how well some of it described me. I still don’t feel I fit perfectly into any of the nine types, but I’m sure that’s true for many people.


This may be a short post, but it’s all I can think of to say right now. Thanks for reading, and I hope you continue to check back for more updates!


-Tim

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting Tim! It sounds like you are busy and having fun too. I'm really looking forward to reading all of your posts. Keep them coming!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom loves discussing the Enneagram, though I have never taken it. Exciting to hear you're being hosted by jpusa, I lived there for a summer (it actually counted as a "cross-cultural" internship for my major) and I was pretty amazed with the place. Also, there used to be great peanut butter chocolate shakes at a little mom and pop burger place about a block towards the el. But with only one week of orientation for 10 months to come I'm sure you're not looking for things to do. We'll be looking forward to following your year.
    ~ leah

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're keeping you in our prayers, thinking of you a lot...and especially excited for you as you head down South tomorrow. We'll look forward to keeping up to date with the blog.

    What's this we hear about a head shave?

    Take care,
    Ruth, Dwayne and Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Testing 1 2 3 testing... Tap tap tap... Is this thing on?
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! It worked. WOOT WOOT, I'm on your blog. Here's hoping you've had a wonderful experience so far. I'm going to make my best shot at keep up with you in word & prayer. I'll keep looking for your e-tracks.
    Mucho blessings,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just checking in to see if you're on South American soil by now. Wow! Things have changed so much, but how exciting that you'll be in Paraguay. Let's see...you're related to 1/2 of the country.

    Maybe we should make our bets on which of the relatives you'll see first.

    Blessings,
    Ruth, Dwayne and Kaitlin

    ReplyDelete